Monday, November 14, 2011

The Black Swan

So Halloween was last month. I know, I know. But this blog didn't exist then, so...deal with it!

I had decided sometime ago that I was going to be the Black swan for halloween. Hilariously, this would make the second time I've done a costume based on a character Natalie Portman did. The first was Halloween 2005, where I dressed up as Padme and my boyfriend at the time dressed like Anakin Skywalker. That's probably about as nerdy as you can get.

Fast forward to 2011, the same ex boyfriend showed me a promo copy of the Black Swan. (He works as an editor in Hollywood and has connections) It was creepy, but I thoroughly enjoyed the tense drama, and mostly I was envious of Natalie Portman's fantastic body! It turns out she did Ballet Beautiful, a work out series I chronicled in my other blog which you can read right here.

Having my costume decided upon, motivated me to see if I could do her fantastic Swan makeup myself. The answer was a giant.


NO...




Ok. I tried. I have some experience doing makeup from my days in theatre. But that was mostly fake scares and bruises and old age makeup.

As they days drew closer, I tried several times and failed each and every one.

Thankfully, I have my friend Mitch. Mitch is great. He's a fellow French student. He used to work for Mac cosmetics and he spends his free times doing makeup for Drag Queens and blushing brides...or Drag Queens who are dressed as blushing brides, but I digress.

I begged him to do my makeup for the big day. I brought along my camera and got some great shots. Here they are in reverse order. I hope you enjoy them.







It's funny because the entire film is dedicated to Portman's transformation into the uber bad-ass Black Swan. Even though her transformation ends up being disasterous, mine was a great success. I got 3rd place in a costume contest, where I lost to a lady who was dressed as Paula Dean. Are you kidding me? She just wore a wig and was handing out sticks of butter all night.

Okay, I'm a sore loser. The Paula Dean thing was a great idea. Maybe next year I'll do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment